Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Happy Birthday Margaret!

For those of you who don't know Margaret, she is Bill's mother...thus, my mother-in-law. I love her to pieces. She is VERY funny and VERY unpredictable. You never know what she might say. Well, today is her birthday...number 77. Yesterday we had a birthday party/cookout for her and my neice Hannah. Hannah (Banana) just turned 13 last Saturday. I love her so much and she has turned into such a wonderful young lady, of which I had no doubt, considering that her parents are two wonderful people. I can't believe that when I first met her she was only 2!!!! Children really grow up too fast.
Back to the story.......Margaret had been saying for at least the last 3 months that she was upset that we got rid of her electric can opener when we moved her to assisted living. I guess we figured that she wouldn't need it. Our bad! So with her birthday falling so close to Mother's Day, I figured that I would get her something that would be a surprise. Well, of course I got her an electric can opener. This is the picture of her opening her gift....

Let me paint the rest of the scenario for you...she is turning the box over and over and over...and she says "well, what is it?" I say, "It's a can opener! I thought you wanted one." Then she says....which I thought was so priceless...."Well honey, it's so FANCY!" I wanted to laugh a lot harder than I did. I think the last one she had was that "green" color...and this one was white...maybe she thought it was fancy. I don't know, but "good golly" she makes me laugh! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARGARET (MOM)!!!!!!
Here are some more pics...Hannah is the beautiful one with red hair. Sarah has the blonde hair and then of course you can figure out which ones are Stephen, Nicholas and Emma. Sorry I didn't have time to edit the photos. Just wanted to get something posted.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!! Marci posted something! LOVE the story about Margaret - I laughed when you told me about it and laughed again when I read it! That was cute! Way to buy her a nice fancy can-opener!!! Love the pics - you didn't need to edit them!

OMA AND OPA said...

Happy Birthday Margaret! I did have her name on my calendar and was planning on sending her a card, but, yup you guest it, I didn't get one out. But please tell her we were thinking of her anyway. Funny story! Cute pictures! Love ya all, mom/Oma

OMA AND OPA said...

By the way, cute dress on Emma. I am glad that she decided to wear it. She is such a lovy dovy girl. Like how she takes care of her little brother. Hugs to them!