Friday, April 2, 2010

Emma's Tea Party




A couple of days ago Emma mentioned that she wanted to invite a few friends over for a real life tea party. And knowing me, I jumped all over this idea. Emma wrote out invites for 5 friends, and we planned it for toeday, the first day of Spring Break. After the invitations were delivered at school, I received a phone call from one of the mother's wanting to know if the invite was "legitimate". So, then I called the other mothers and assured them that it was in fact a real thing Emma was planning. Emma had 3 friends over for tea at two. We planned a menu of cucumber tea sandwiches (made espcially for you Opa!), pb&j tea sandwiches (for the finicky sort), strawberries, cookies, and of course tea (decaf). We spent the whole morning preparing/cleaning for our afternoon tea. It was a great success and Jenny (bless her heart) even came up to help with the party. I showed the girls how to put their tea bags in the water and then how to take them out and that a lady drinks with her pinky out (i know they don't do that now-days, but it was fun) and Jenny taught them that a lady always "dabs" with her napkin and never "wipes". We had a fun afternoon of being ladies. I'm so proud of Emma coming up with this idea all on her own, and I had soooo much fun planning it with her and making it happen.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! you posted!!
thanks for calling and telling us about this fun and cute day - it sounds totally cute and a fun way to teach those little bits of etiquette! good for you!
(and i am glad that you were able to post your cute pics!)

LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!

(now i gotta get back to conference!!)

christy jensen said...

So glad to see a new post! Emma made a lovely hostess. Way to build that memory for her.

wende said...

so fun! and gorgeous dishes!
i am a HUGE fan of cucumber sandwiches. YUM. maybe i need to make some of those soon?

and a lesson in lady-like behavior is NEVER a bad thing. :)

you GO cute mom!

Earl Family said...

You scored some serious "good mom" points with that one! Way to go!

OMA AND OPA said...

I thought that I had made a comment on the "Tea Party", but I don['t see one so I must have just talked to you on the phone. I love the pictures and all, it looked so fun. Tell Emma Oma has some hats for her next time. Hey, I know, you be in charge of the Tea Party here during our family reunion for those little girls. ok? love mom